Sunday, May 8, 2016

3D Shapes

This week we have been learning about 3D shapes. We made super cute hats of the solid shapes.  My students love making things they can wear. I really like the 3D hats. The packet includes two of each hat depending on how you teach it. one hat asks for how many faces, edges and vertices. The other hat asks for curved surfaces, flat surfaces and vertices. It has a spot for students to draw a sample of the shape. and identify if it is a solid or plane shape.
                 If you print the preview it has a sample of the cylinder hat, like the ones below. You can purchase this here. 


We did this great Walk the Room center. Students match the object on the ship to the similar 3D shape on the worksheet. I had 3D shapes available in case anyone struggled, for instance this little one struggled and colored in both shapes. So I gave here both shapes and we looked at the picture together to see which one it resembled the most.
We also compared and contrasted the shapes to tell how they area like and how they are different.
  I like it when they can think it through and write out their thinking. It shows me evidence of their learning. I usually try to correct just the subject at hand, however, this little pumpkin forgot to start with a capital letter so I would be sure to mention that to her when I conference with her.
We sorted shaped by flat surfaces and curved surfaces and objects that had both.  I passed out one object to each student and had them sort it into the correct category. I later put this in a center for them to do as a group. It was quite cute to hear their thoughts about why each shape went where as they explain it to their peers.
Then they did this worksheet. Sorting shapes into categories based on curved or flat surfaces.

We worked on other attributes such as can shapes, roll, stack or slide. I passed out solid shapes and had students try to roll them, stack them and slide them. This brought up GREAT conversations in class. Do cubes roll? Dice are cubes and we "roll Dice" which made us look at what the definition of roll means for this activity.
The other BIG question was do pyramids stack? As you can see here our friends said YES. but only sometimes, if they are on their sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment