Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Yesterday, my little pumpkins had a half day sub.  I was shocked by the behavior of my students with the sub.  Seriously, I saw them running down the hall, screaming. Not acceptable behavior.  So today, I dressed up like Viola Swamp from Miss Nelson is Missing.  I wore a wig...a bad, mullet wig...it is the only one I had.  I changed my necklace, rings and earrings. I raided my moms closet for some clothes to wear.  I painted my nails a different color.  I took the cover off my computer and cellphone. I changed out my teacher bag and lunch bag.  I put a pillow in my clothing to make me a little thicker. I spoke in a stern voice. I did not yell. I spoke calmly and firm. 
You can watch it by clicking here
 I explained that I was Mrs. Hann's sister, and I was filling in for her today. I pretended that I didn't know their names, or how to use the Apple T.V.. They asked a few question like why we looked so much a like. We did not sing or dance today. We did discuss appropriate behavior for when a substitute is there. It was actually really good conversations about how they should behave. I asked them why they were behaving for me but not the sub yesterday. One little pumpkin answered," Because you are so serious."  We discussed why the other sub was not so "serious".  My little pumpkins thought maybe she was a new sub, maybe she didn't know our class rules. Which led to conversations about even if the sub doesn't know the rules, we know the rules.  I asked if they learned anything yesterday and they said, "No". We discussed their job at school is to learn. So, because they did not complete the assignments yesterday we needed to do it all today. ( We did not really do two days worth of work, but I promise there was no down time today.)
   My little pumpkins worked very hard today, but surprisingly at the end of the day, they said they would miss me. I did not let on today that it was really me. Tomorrow, I will read Miss Nelson is Missing. 

 On another note,  our school is encouraging Number Talks with our students.  So I made version of their dots Images for my team to use. I am including Dot Images with the Number 6 Set 8 here.
I really enjoy the conversations that happen. It helps them to see that its okay to see numbers different, and helps them to see it different ways. 
You show students this and ask" How many dots do you see? How do you see it? "




No comments:

Post a Comment